Family loses home in deep fryer fire

Save Story

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

(KSL News) Magna residents were awakened by the sound of explosions and the smell of fire this morning. Firefighters say the family who lives in a home near 7200 West and 3700 South was trying to deep fry a turkey in their garage when it caught fire.

"I was sleeping, and the fire woke me up out of a dead sleep, so I came out here, and that's when I saw the house was on fire. Flames were at least 20 to 30 feet high at the time," neighbor Derek Sargent said.

Everyone got out safely except the family's pets. "The homeowner was trying to get back into the home because he had two dogs in the back bedroom. Firefighters did search for those dogs, and they died in the fire," said United Fire Authority Capt. Wade Russell.

The fire destroyed the home and everything in it. Neighbors say this is the second time in 10 years the house has caught fire.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast