Man injured in Tooele explosion recovering; cause deemed accidental

Save Story

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

TOOELE — A man who was seriously injured after a propane explosion Thursday evening is recovering at the University of Utah Hospital Burn Center, authorities said Friday.

Investigators ruled the explosion accidental and were still figuring out the ignition source of it. The man's injuries have stabilized, Tooele City Fire Department Chief Rick Harrison said. The man's name has not yet been released.

Emergency crews responded to a report of an explosion in the garage of a home near 1000 W. 900 South about 5:30 p.m. Thursday, according to Tooele City Fire Capt. Bucky Whitehouse.

Officials believe it was caused by the mishandling of several 5-gallon propane tanks which exploded and injured the man who was in the garage at the time. He was then airlifted to the University of Utah Hospital.

Firefighters wrapped up dousing the fire about 8:30 p.m. The explosion remains under investigation.

Related stories

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Carter Williams is an award-winning reporter who covers general news, outdoors, history and sports for


Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast