News / Utah / 

Insertcrysis, Shutterstock

Tooele man seriously injured after an explosion in his garage

By Cara MacDonald, | Posted - May 23, 2019 at 8:46 p.m.

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

TOOELE — A man was seriously injured after propane exploded in his garage Thursday evening.

Emergency crews responded to the explosion at around 5:30 p.m. near 1000 West 900 South in Tooele City, according to Tooele City Fire Captain Bucky Whitehouse.

The explosion appears to have been caused by the mishandling of several five-gallon propane tanks stored in the garage, according to Whitehouse. The tanks exploded and left the man, who is in his 30s, with what Whitehouse referred to as life-threatening injuries.

Whitehouse added that when emergency crews arrived, the man seemed okay, but his condition quickly declined as he began to struggle to breathe. He was airlifted by helicopter to a Salt Lake Valley hospital.

The fire department was wrapping up their work putting out the fire at around 8:30 p.m. and Whitehouse said the home will be boarded up by a disaster cleanup company.

Further information about the cause of the incident and the man’s condition were not readily available.

Cara MacDonald

KSL Weather Forecast