News / Utah / 

Body of Maj. Brent Taylor returns to Utah Wednesday for Saturday funeral

Show 3 more videos

Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

OGDEN — The body of Maj. Brent Taylor returned to Utah Wednesday for a public viewing Friday and funeral on Saturday.

His body arrived at the Roland R. Wright Air National Guard Base, 765 N. 2200 West in Salt Lake City, at 3 p.m.

Taylor, 39, took an unprecedented one-year leave of absence from his post as mayor of North Ogden for his deployment to Afghanistan in January. Just months away from his return, he was killed during an "apparent insider attack" in Kabul on Saturday, Nov. 3, officials said.

Taylor's mission, as part of his work with the Special Operations Joint Task Force in support of Operation Freedom Sentinel, was to help train Afghan forces. He was killed and another U.S. soldier was wounded when a member of the Afghan security forces opened fire, Utah National Guard Maj. Gen. Jefferson Burton said.

Taylor leaves behind his wife, Jennie, and seven children ranging in age from 13 years to 11 months.

Utah National Guard officials tweeted that a public viewing for Taylor will be held between 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday at Dee Events Center, 4400 Harrison Blvd. in Ogden. A military vigil will begin after that at Myers Mortuary in Ogden.

The funeral will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Dee Events Center. Taylor will be buried at the Ben Lomond Cemetery, 526 E. 2850 North St. in Ogden.

Watch the livestream of the processional from the air guard base below:

Related stories

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast