Man has 8 court cases filed against him in 10 days

Man has 8 court cases filed against him in 10 days


Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — Harley Gregory Welsh will be spending a lot of time in court in the coming months.

Welsh, 39, of Salt Lake City, has been charged in eight separate cases in 3rd District Court in the past 10 days. He faces a total of 13 felonies and four misdemeanors, mostly involving theft and leading police on a series of chases.

Since the beginning of the year, a total of 15 cases have been filed against Welsh in 3rd District Court, according to state records. In addition, his new charges violate conditions of his probation for convictions in 2016, according to court records.

According to court records, Welsh's most recent crime spree started on Nov. 17 and lasted until his arrest on Dec. 17. Documents allege that on:

• Nov. 17 — Welsh stole a Chevy Malibu belonging to his sister.

• Nov. 17 — Welsh pulled up to a car in a parking garage, 35 N. Rio Grande, while driving the Malibu, spray-painted the nearby security camera and then broke out a car window to steal items inside.

• Nov. 28 — Welsh stole a Honda car parked at the University of Utah, leaving the Chevy behind.

• Nov. 28 — Welsh spray-painted a security camera at the Bureau of Land Management building.

• Dec. 7 — Welsh cut out a catalytic converter from a vehicle parked at the U. He is seen in surveillance video driving the stolen Honda.

• Dec. 12 — Welsh, now back in the stolen Malibu, is spotted asleep in the driver's seat near 4932 S. Howick St. (210 West). While he was asleep, officers set up a spike strip under Welsh's rear tires and try and pin him in, according to police. The officers then used an air horn to wake up Welsh. Welsh immediately rammed two police cars on either end of his, and drove away. The stolen vehicle was found abandoned near 32 E. Central Ave. (4100 South).

• Dec. 12 — After dumping the Chevy, police believe Welsh ran to a nearby car lot and jumped into a Ford Expedition that was running but not occupied.

• Dec. 14 — A Salt Lake City police officer spotted the stolen Expedition near 1750 S. State. Welsh sped away when the officer attempted tot pull him over. The officer did not initiate a chase due to public safety concerns.

• Dec. 15 — Unified police found Welsh and the stolen Expedition in a parking garage. He was standing outside the vehicle and an officer ordered him to put his hands up. He placed his hands in the air, smiled and then jumped in the SUV to attempt to flee. When he realized he was boxed in, Welsh got out and ran.

• Dec. 15 — Welsh stole a car left running at Maverick, 710 E. 2700 South.

• Dec. 17 - Welsh attempted to flee from police yet again in a low-speed pursuit. At the end of the chase, Welsh again got out and ran, but was captured this time by a police K-9.

The state has recommended to the court that Welsh not be allowed to post bail. Email: Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Pat Reavy is a longtime police and courts reporter. He joined the team in 2021, after many years of reporting at the Deseret News and KSL NewsRadio before that.


Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast