News / Utah / 

Passerby saves West Valley family from house fire

Passerby saves West Valley family from house fire

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

(KSL News) A passerby helped save the lives of a West Valley family early this morning when he noticed their house was on fire.

"It spread rapidly through the attic, so it could have been disastrous results if it hadn't been for this passerby," said West Valley Fire Assistant Chief Kris Romijn.

Passerby saves West Valley family from house fire

The passerby saw smoke coming from the roof and knocked on the door to alert the family.

Family members say the house does have smoke detectors, but no one heard them go off.

The fire started in a bathroom, possibly because of a problem with a fan. Damage is estimated at $30,000.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast