Hunter claims to have killed Bigfoot in Texas

Hunter claims to have killed Bigfoot in Texas

1 photo

Estimated read time: 3-4 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SAN ANTONIO — Professional Bigfoot hunter Rick Dyer is no stranger to controversy. He claimed in 2008 to have a dead Bigfoot body, but it turned out to be a rubber suit covered in synthetic hair.

In the years following the hoax, Dyer has continued to make bold claims regarding his Bigfoot research. Now comes the boldest of them all: he has killed Bigfoot and had the body verified by a laboratory.

Most people reading this will probably roll their eyes and think it’s simply another hoax. Dyer addresses this sentiment on his website, writing that he’d known all along that, “there will be ups and downs, good days and bad.” He shrugs off the past and focuses on his latest claim.

“Well, the wait is over, folks,” proclaims the message on his website. “Now it is time to believe.”

Dyer told a Texas news station that he shot Bigfoot in a wooded area outside of San Antonio. As reported by KSAT, the event occurred “in a wooded area on the northwest side near Loop 1604 and Highway 151 in early September 2012.”

So if he shot the creature in 2012, why is it just making news now? Dyer has spoken about his successful Bigfoot hunt in the past, but claims that a dispute over ownership of the body kept it out of his hands until now. In his interview with KSAT, Dyer said that a lab in Washington has verified the body.

“Every test that you can possibly imagine was performed on this body from DNA tests to 3D optical scans to body scans,” Dyer said. “It is the real deal.”

So what made Dyer’s hunt in 2012 more successful than all of his others: Walmart pork ribs. He claims that he nailed some to a tree near his tent and before long, Bigfoot was munching on them. Stunned by Bigfoot’s brazen behavior, Dyer allegedly filmed a video of the creature with his cellphone.

Bigfoot then left for a time, but the aroma of the pork ribs proved to be too enticing. When the creature returned a second time, Dyer said he shot it dead. He told KSAT that he then rented a truck and transported Bigfoot to an undisclosed location.

Bolstered by what he said are conclusive results from the laboratory, Dyer plans to hold a news conference in the near future. He will then display the body and share the lab results with the world.

Dyer is currently planning a tour of the United States, Mexico and Canada. For a small fee, the public will be permitted to view Bigfoot. No word yet on whether the Bigfoot tour will come through Salt Lake City.

Grant Olsen joined the team in 2012. He covers outdoor adventures, product reviews and other interesting things. You can contact him at


Related links

Related stories

Most recent Outdoors & Rec stories

Related topics

Outdoors & Rec


Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast