News / Utah / 

Tooele man killed in carbon monoxide incident identified

Tooele man killed in carbon monoxide incident identified

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

TOOELE — Police believe the death of a Tooele man who was found in his living room was the result of a tragic accident and not a suicide.

Robert Woods, 54, had been working Wednesday on a car in his garage at 220 Crest Circle, possibly replacing a fuel line, said Tooele Police Lt. Paul Wimmer.

A nephew who lives with Woods left the house about 5:30 p.m. When he returned about 10 p.m., he found Woods dead in the living room, a strong odor of exhaust fumes throughout the home, and the car still running in the garage.

Investigators believe Woods was working on the car, got it running, and then went inside to take a break while letting it run. He was found on a couch, about 15 to 20 feet away from the garage. The television was on and there was a drink next to the body, Wimmer said.

The door leading from the house to the garage was ajar about 6 inches, he said. Detectives said Woods had not shown any recent signs of depression, expressed thoughts of suicide or left any notes. They believe he likely sat down to take a break and was overcome by the exhaust fumes.

Pat Reavy


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast