Disadvantaged Clinton Family Loses Home in Fire

Disadvantaged Clinton Family Loses Home in Fire


Save Story
Leer en espaƱol

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

Amanda Butterfield Reporting A family that already faces many struggles, now has to deal with this.

The Lawrences won't be spending Christmas in their home this year. A fire burned their house in Clinton this morning.

Disadvantaged Clinton Family Loses Home in Fire

The family that used to live there is disabled, with two sons who need medication and a single mother trying to make ends meet as an assistant teacher. This morning around 11:00, a fire broke out in the house.

Lt. Ron Wehrle, Clinton City Fire Department: "It's looking like it originated in one of the bedrooms."

Officials say two of the kids were home when it started, a 23-year-old and six-year old.

After trying to stop the fire himself, the older son came running to a neighbors to tell them to call 9-1-1. Both got out okay, though they did suffer smoke inhalation. They were taken to Lakeview Hospital.

The six-year-old did burn his foot. Neighbors say he is disabled, and are glad that's all that happened to him.

Keith Huffaker, neighbor: "The little boy sometimes runs the wrong way, we were worried about him going the wrong way, and thank goodness he was out on front porch."

The family's father died several years ago, leaving the mother to care for the children. The family has also suffered the loss of another child. And this morning, they lost their house.

Marcy Foster, neighbor: "No one deserves to go through anything like this, but my heart goes out to them because they've suffered already with loses of family and financial means."

Firefighters were able to salvage some Christmas presents from home, but the family won't be spending Christmas there.

The family has no medical insurance. The six-year-old is believed to have caused the fire. Damage is estimated 30-thousand dollars.

A fund has been setup at any Golden West Credit Union under Marilyn Lawrence.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Utah

STAY IN THE KNOW

Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast