News / Utah / 

Brian Champagne

Utah baby taken to hospital after getting tangled in window blinds

By Gretel Kauffman, KSL | Posted - Sep. 19, 2019 at 7:17 p.m.

LOGAN — A baby who reportedly became tangled in window blind cords was taken to the hospital Thursday afternoon, the Logan Fire Department said.

The child, who was younger than 2 years old, was discovered not breathing by some family members, according to assistant chief Craig Humphreys. The fire department was dispatched to the home just before 4 p.m.

The family performed CPR on the baby, who was breathing and crying by the time first responders arrived, Humphreys said.

The child was taken to Logan Regional Hospital, then transferred to a hospital in the Salt Lake area. Humphreys did not know the child’s condition as of 6:30 p.m.

Humphreys said he has come across several similar cases in his career, adding that parents are encouraged to keep window blind cords out of the reach of children.

“Those cords for blinds can be a safety hazard,” Humphreys said. “It’s good for parents to be aware of and take precautions against.”

Gretel Kauffman

KSL Weather Forecast