PROVO — Health officials are warning people to keep themselves and their pets out of Utah Lake due to a harmful algal bloom found in the water.
The highest levels of concentration of cyanobacteria were found at the Lincoln Beach, Saratoga Springs and Sandy Beach marinas, according to an emailed statement from the Utah County Health Department.
Concentration levels at those areas are over 1 million cells per milliliter, which is “significantly over” the threshold for a health-based warning advisory, officials said.
“Water with these levels of concentration in the algal bloom pose health risks,” Deputy Director of Utah County Health Department Eric Edwards said in the statement. “To protect the health of people and animals that use the lake, it is important for the public to be aware of the warning on the lake.”
Bacteria levels also exceed the threshold at the Provo Bay ski dock, Swedes Access at Provo Bay and 2 miles west of Vineyard, officials said. Tests revealed concentration levels under the threshold at Utah Lake State Park south of the dike and a mile southeast of Bird Island, according to the statement.
Warning signs were posted Wednesday at the Saratoga Springs, American Fork and Lindon marinas, officials said.
People recreating on the lake are asked to take caution and avoid any scum areas, according to the statement. People should also keep an eye on conditions, as they can change throughout the day.
Lincoln Beach and Marina was closed earlier this summer due to algae. Swedes Access at Provo Bay, Utah Lake State Park and Sandy Beach were placed under a warning for recreational uses in late June.
Health department officials encourage people to sign up for alerts about the conditions at Utah Lake at alerts.utahcounty.gov.
Symptoms of exposure to cyanobacteria can include headache, fever, diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea and allergy-like skin reactions, officials said. Anyone with concerns about exposure can call the Utah Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222.