Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
ELKO, Nev. (AP) — Dozens of northern Nevada residents are suing the city of Elko for $3.6 million in damages caused by extensive flooding last February.
The Elko Daily Free Press reported on its web site Tuesday that state Assemblyman John Ellison is among the 60 plaintiffs listed in the negligence suit filed earlier this month in Elko District Court.
Two months of heavy snowfall followed by unseasonably warm temperatures led to snowmelt runoff that overflowed the banks of the Humboldt River in early February.
The suit accuses the city and others of being responsible for the damage as a result of the relocation of a river project beginning in 1979.
City Manager Curtis Calder says he can't comment on pending litigation. But he says the city worked with a consultant over the summer to identify areas to fix, including waterproofing manhole covers.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.