Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
VERNAL — A home caught fire around 2 a.m. in sub-degree temperatures in Vernal. The Vernal Fire Department responded quickly, but the home was considered a total loss.
The Vernal Fire Department responded to the house fire at 808 W. 500 South in -15 degree weather. Investigators say the fire was sparked from a wood-burning fire in the fireplace. The initial starting point was from a flu pipe attached to the wall.
The family was evacuated from the home, and no one was injured in relation to the fire. Fire crews had the fire contained in about 10 minutes, but the smoke and heat damage to the home resulted in a total loss. The damage to the home was estimated at $200,000.
"It is just great that no one was hurt," said Uintah Fire District executive director, Jeremy Raymond.