News / Utah / 

Police shoot woman that led deputies on high-speed chase

By Pat Reavy | Posted - Nov 26th, 2012 @ 5:43pm

5 photos

Show 2 more videos

SOUTH WEBER — A Colorado woman who police originally tried to pull over for a headlight violation in Morgan County was shot by an officer after law enforcers say she led deputies on a long chase and rammed two police vehicles.

Kristine Nicole Biggs, 41, of Whitewater, Colo., was reportedly in intensive care but in stable condition Monday morning after being shot in the face, said Davis County Sheriff's Capt. Kenny Payne. Whitewater is located just outside of Grand Junction.

A felony arrest warrant was issued for Biggs from that area for failure to comply with a judicial order, Payne said. Her original arrest was for a wildlife violation, he said, though he did not know the details regarding the arrest. Investigators also found out later that her driver's license had been revoked some time ago.

Biggs had attempted to change her license plate number using tape, he said. Investigators also found what appeared to be "most of her belongings" in the vehicle, and they were investigating whether she was living out of her truck, Payne said. Biggs used to live in Draper, Payne said.

The incident began about 10:30 p.m. Sunday when a Morgan County sheriff's deputy attempted to pull the woman over on I-84 for having just one working headlight on her vehicle, Payne said. The woman, however, did not pull over.

The ensuing chase went westbound on I-84 through Weber Canyon. At one point, Biggs turned around on the freeway and headed back into Morgan County. With sheriff's deputies and the Utah Highway Patrol in pursuit, she again changed directions and headed back down the canyon, Payne said.

Near the area known as Horseshoe Bend on I-84, a UHP trooper spiked three of the woman's tires. She continued driving, however, for another six to eight miles into Davis County, Payne said. By the time the chase came to an end, the left side of her vehicle was driving completely on its rims, he said.

Near 700 Cottonwood Drive in South Weber, Biggs again did a U-turn and attempted to drive the opposite direction. This time, however, she hit two Morgan County sheriff's deputies' vehicles, side-swiping the first and hitting the second one head-on, Payne said.

The deputy got out of his car and ordered Biggs to get out of her truck, Payne said. Instead, she backed up and rammed the police car again. She repeated this action a couple of more times before the officer fired a shot through the pickup truck's windshield, striking the woman in her left eye, Payne said. She was taken to Ogden Regional Medical Center.

"Currently, we have no idea why she ran," he said.

The Davis County Sheriff's Office was investigating the shooting.


Pat Reavy

KSL Weather Forecast