Salt Lake man helps get young neighbors out of burning home

Save Story

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY -- Fire damaged a Salt Lake City home near 1100 East and 200 South Monday night, but two boys escaped thanks to an alert neighbor.

The fire started in a storage shed and spread to a house, but a quick-responding neighbor kept it from getting worse. He saw smoke, ran to the fire and tried to put it out with a garden hose before firefighters arrived.

"I had a son in the house that was sleeping downstairs and one who was in the shower," said tenant Laura Larsen. "My neighbor came, and he smelled the smoke, and so he ran through the house and told them to get out."

"I was glad I was able to help," said neighbor Michael Mestas.

No word yet on what started the fire, though investigators believe it was an accident.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast