Child dies after getting trapped under box spring

Child dies after getting trapped under box spring

Save Story

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

TAYLORSVILLE -- A 15-month-old Taylorsville boy died Wednesday after a box spring fell on top of him.

Police said the family was in the process of moving and noticed the baby -- Arioateine Aliu -- was missing. After searching for about 10 minutes, a family member discovered the child underneath a box spring. He was unconscious and not breathing.

"The child was airlifted to Primary Children's hospital; and while in route to the hospital it was determined that the child, infact, was deceased," said Taylorsville police Detective Shannon Bennett.

Bennett said it appears the weight of the box spring asphyxiated the child. Police are calling the incident a tragic accident.


Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Marc Giauque


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast