Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SOUTH SALT LAKE -- Some garbage destined for the landfill caught on fire at a transfer station overnight in South Salt Lake.
A semitrailer loaded with trash parked near 3300 South and 500 West somehow ignited around 11:45 p.m. Sunday. Authorities are not calling the fire suspicious.
Battalion Chief Terry Addison of the South Salt Lake Fire Department said, "It could be anything inside. Whenever anyone throws anything away, there could be a chemical reaction inside—some type of paper or some other type of chemical that started the fire."
Firefighters say the trailer was so packed with garbage that crews had to use heavy machinery to sift through it to make sure the flames were out.