Draper home a complete loss following fire

7 photos
Save Story

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

DRAPER -- A Draper home was destroyed by fire Saturday, accelerated by propane and ammunition being stored in the garage. Luckily, the family escaped without injury.

The home is near 400 East and Stokes Avenue (13540 South). Fire investigators know it started in the garage, but they're still looking into an exact cause. What we know now is that the two-alarm blaze has resulted in a family without a home.

Draper home a complete loss following fire

Neighbor Troy Walker said, "Flames were coming outside the garage and going up the roof, all the way up to the roof."

It took just minutes for flames to engulf most of the home. The scene drew so many onlookers, witnesses say the fire trucks struggled to get through the traffic. The family had already evacuated.

Neighbor Mardi Townsend said, "They heard an explosion in their garage and went to the garage and got the family out."

Witnesses say the homeowner was able to save one vehicle but unable to get to two others.

Firefighters on scene had extra hazards to handle thanks to ammunition and propane stored in the garage.

Witness Lisa Litton said, "There was a very, very, very loud popping sound. It sounded like popcorn popping, only it was ammunition exploding."

Capt. Clint Mecham, with Unified Fire Authority, said, "The type of fire it was and as heavily involved as it was, there was no way to make entry."

Crews instead attacked the fire from ladder trucks as well as on the ground and were able to put the flames out; however, they say the damage is extensive.

"What's not damaged from the fire, we had to use a lot of water to extinguish the fire so there's extensive water and smoke damage," Mecham said.

As firefighters put out the last of the flames, neighbors were already getting together, figuring out what the family will need tonight and in the coming weeks.

"It kinda puts perspective on what's important in life, and it's not the things, it's the people," Townsend said.

Firefighters say the homeowner appeared to have stored the propane and ammunition properly, and there's nothing illegal about storing it in your garage. They estimate the damage at $750,000.

E-mail: sdallof@ksl.com


Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Sarah Dallof


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast