Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
LOGAN -- The city of Logan will apply for federal emergency funds following last week's fatal canal collapse and mudslide.
According to the Salt Lake Tribune, Logan City spokeswoman Teresa Harris says it's not clear when or whether the money will come. If it does come, the city will decide where it can best be used.
Meanwhile, Sen. Bob Bennett announced Thursday he has secured more than $400,000 in federal funding for an emergency assessment of the canal. The money will enable a team from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to examine the structure, identify its risks and begin necessary repairs.
In a statement, Bennett said: "We need to ensure that the public health and safety is not further endangered by any remaining unforeseen risks from the canal. We must take immediate action to examine the entire canal system."