Man kidnapped woman, led officers on chase, police say

Man kidnapped woman, led officers on chase, police say


Save Story

Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SANDY — A man who police say held a woman hostage for hours before she finally escaped, was arrested after allegedly leading police on a chase and hitting a couple of vehicles, including a police car.

Floyd Raymond Mares, 55, of Salt Lake City, was arrested for investigation of numerous charges.

The long series of events began about 3:30 p.m. Monday near 8400 S. Jordan Parkway when a woman in her late 40s got into Mares’ vehicle, said Sandy Police Sgt. Janson Nielsen. The relationship between Mares and the woman was not immediately known.

Once she got in the car, Mares wouldn’t let the woman out, Nielsen said. The two drove all around the valley as Mares held the woman against her will, he said.

Sometime between midnight and 1 a.m. Tuesday, Nielsen said the woman was able to get away from Mares and call police. About an hour later, while police were still on scene talking to the woman, Mares returned.

Mares immediately tried to flee, hitting a Sandy police car in the process, according to Nielsen. No one was injured.

Later, West Valley police spotted Mares and a chase ensued through several jurisdictions, Nielsen said. The pursuit ended when Mares crashed near Indiana Avenue and Redwood Road. He was taken to a local hospital to be treated for injuries not considered to be life-threatening.

According to court records, Mares also had a warrant out for his arrest for fleeing from West Jordan police in January. In 2013, he was convicted on an amended charge of aggravated assault, a third-degree felony, during a robbery at a Walmart. In 1999 Mares was convicted of aggravated robbery and sentenced to five years to life in the Utah State Prison.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Pat Reavy is a longtime police and courts reporter. He joined the team in 2021, after many years of reporting at the Deseret News and KSL NewsRadio before that.


Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast