LAYTON — Fire crews responded to a 3-alarm fire Monday afternoon that left five occupants and seven police officers with minor injuries, officials said.
Layton fire officials said the large fire was located at Layton Meadow Apartments, 540 W. 1425 North.
The fire started about 2:26 p.m. in a ground level unit and rapidly spread to the second floor, according to Layton Fire Chief Kevin Ward.
Fire officials believe the flames were caused by a cooking fire from that apartment, Ward said.
The flames were confined to 24 units on building 586, and fire crews aren’t worried about the fire moving to other buildings, Ward said.
Ward estimated at least 23 occupants were displaced in the blaze. The fire caused an estimated $1 million in damages, he added.
Red Cross was dispatched to assist with the multi-unit fire, according to the organization's Twitter.
Ward called the fire “stubborn” and said the excessive heat wasn't helping. Additional crews were brought in as heat relief, due to the extreme conditions, Ward said.
The building design made extinguishing the fire difficult, Ward said. There are a lot of contained areas in the building where the fire has spread into, he added.
One occupant reportedly received injuries from jumping off a second-level balcony, Ward said. Two occupants, including the one who jumped, were transported to local hospitals, he said, and three other occupants were treated and released on scene for minor injuries.
All occupants have been accounted for, Ward said.
Seven Layton police officers who helped evacuate the apartment received various amounts of smoke inhalation, but Ward said all were minor and they were doing well and being evaluated at local hospital.
Due to the fire, 400 West from Hill Field Road was closed Monday afternoon.
Ward said the building is probably a total loss and firefighters were still working to clear the flames late into the afternoon.
“We’ll be out here for quite some time,” Ward said.
Contributing: Andrew Adams, KSL TV