Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
MOAB — A man who was convicted of murder in connection with a 2018 fatal shooting will be sentenced next week.
On Friday, a jury found 31-year-old Omar Guerro, also know as Martin Armenta Verduzco Lopez, guilty of murder, aggravated kidnapping and possession of a firearm by a restricted person in the fatal shooting of Edgar Luna Najera. Guerro was found not guilty on two other counts of aggravated kidnapping.
On Monday, Guerro's sentencing was scheduled for June 11. In addition, prosecutors dropped a third-degree felony charge of assault by a prisoner, which was filed against Guerro on Feb. 4 in a separate case.
On Oct. 28, Moab police responded to a report of a fight at a mobile home located at 250 Walnut Lane. When officers arrived, they found Najera dead with multiple gunshot wounds. At the time, they said they were seeking Guerro, who had been in town for just a few weeks before the shooting.
Guerro remained at large when he was charged in 7th District Court two days after the shooting. According to charging documents, a witness told police they saw Guerro shoot Najera once in the torso, and then again in the head. He was arrested on Nov. 1, following a 100-mile police chase that ended in Kayenta, Arizona, located south of the Utah-Arizona border.
Guerro had no criminal history in Utah prior to the murder. However, police said he was wanted for an aggravated assault in Denver earlier in 2018.