News / Utah / 

Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News

Accidental explosion cause of deadly fire at West Jordan condominium complex

By Liesl Nielsen, KSL.com | Posted - Aug. 7, 2017 at 5:34 p.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

WEST JORDAN — A deadly fire at a West Jordan condominium complex was caused by an accidental explosion Sunday afternoon, the West Jordan Fire Department confirmed.

Judy Pedersen, 66, was killed after an explosion in her apartment caused a fire at the complex located at 1370 W. 6690 South. A knob on Pedersen's gas stove was found in the "on" position.

Shane Stegen, 26, and Hayley Morrison-Stegen, 23, were living above Pedersen's apartment and felt an explosion around 3 p.m. They were eventually forced to jump from their burning second floor apartment, according to West Jordan Fire Battalion Chief Bryan Crump.

The tenants jumped about 30 feet to the concrete below and suffered possible broken bones and bruising. They were taken to Intermountain Medical Center.

So far, 11 people have been displaced and all eight units in the complex sustained smoke, fire and water damage.

Related Stories

SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast