News / Utah / 

Teen shot by police awake, able to communicate; family looking for more answers

(Photo: Muslima Waladi)

Show 1 more video

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — Abdi Mohamed, the 17-year-old boy shot by police in the Rio Grande area on Feb. 27, is awake from a medically-induced coma, and is able to communicate.

Mohamed's cousin, Muslima Weledi, told KSL-TV on Sunday that Mohamed, who remains hospitalized, is able to write things down, but is still having a hard time speaking and doesn't have feeling in his right leg.

Mohamed has been filling in his family about what happened the night of the shooting. He told Weledi a man on a bike started harassing him and a friend, which quickly escalated into a physical fight.

Mohamed claims remembering seeing police lights, then hearing, "Drop it," referring to a broomstick handle he was holding before feeling a bullet hit him, causing him to fall and black out.

"He dropped and tried to get up, but he couldn't get up, so he flipped himself over and after that, everything went black," said Weledi, describing what Mohamed has communicated to his family.

Weledi said the doctors told Mohamed was shot four times.

The family says they're looking for more answers. Weledi says that truth lies in the hands of Salt Lake City Police Department, and is hoping to get some answers soon.

"We are planning a rally next Friday to demand the body camera footage and to demand the name of the police officer who was involved in the shooting," said Weledi. If these body camera videos, if they were released, then we would actually see what happened."

Protesters have held one demonstration since the shooting.

Salt Lake County district attorney Sim Gill has said the body camera footage will not be released until the investigation is completed. Police say the investigation is ongoing.

Contributing: Xoel Cardenas, Nicole Vowell

Related Stories

Ashley Kewish


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast