Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
30 MINUTE ENCHILADA QUINOA BOWL
A nod to the classic enchilada with all the flavors without the calories, gluten, dairy or animal products!
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
• 1 poblano chile, seeded and finely diced (about ⅓ - ½ cup)*
• 2 cups quinoa, well-rinsed and drained
• 2½ cups low-sodium chicken broth (if vegan, use vegetable broth)
• 16 ounces tomato sauce
• 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• ½ teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 2 cups frozen corn kernels
• 1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from about 1 medium lime)
• ½ cup chopped cilantro
• Optional toppings: avocados, non-dairy sour cream, chopped tomatoes, olives, green salsa etc.
1. In a 12-inch nonstick skillet with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the garlic and poblano chile. Cook for a minute or two, stirring constantly. Add the rinsed and drained quinoa, broth, tomato sauce, beans, salt, chili powder, oregano and cumin and stir to combine.
2. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat, reduce the temperature, cover the skillet, and continue simmering for 20 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa has popped open and is tender. Regulate the heat during cooking if the mixture is sticking to the bottom of the skillet.
3. Uncover and stir in the corn, and cilantro. Cook for about 5 minutes or until heated through. Add additional salt and pepper to taste if needed.
4. Sprinkle the top with lime juice and serve with optional garnishes if you'd like: avocados, non-dairy sour cream, chopped tomatoes, olives, green salsa etc.
*An anaheim pepper will also work.