One Direction spokesman won't confirm hiatus report

By The Associated Press | Posted - Aug. 24, 2015 at 5:20 a.m.


1 photo

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

LONDON (AP) — A spokesman for One Direction has declined to comment on a report that the chart-topping boy band will take an indefinite break starting in March.

Publicist Simon Jones said he wouldn't comment on "speculation."

The Sun newspaper reported Monday that band members would go separate ways for at least a year after finishing a tour this autumn and promoting their fifth album.

One Direction formed in 2010 after five teenagers — Louis Tomlinson, Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Niall Horan and Zayn Malik — auditioned individually for the British TV talent show "The X Factor." Simon Cowell had the idea of putting them together as a boy band, and they became one of Britain's most successful musical exports.

Speculation about a split grew after Malik quit the group earlier this year, but the other members said they planned to continue as a quartet.

One Direction is currently on the North American leg of a tour that is due to end Oct. 31 in Sheffield, England.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Photos

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast