News / Utah / 

Charges filed against man accused of jail work release escape, carjacking

Charges filed against man accused of jail work release escape, carjacking

(Weber County Jail)

1 photo

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

OGDEN — A man who police say went into cardiac arrest and was placed in a medically induced coma after fleeing from officers and attempting to carjack a woman violently was charged Tuesday.

Shane Gormley, 30, was charged in 2nd District Court with escape from official custody, a third-degree felony.

Gormley was sentenced to a year in jail on June 19 for his conviction on a charge of retail theft, according to an arrest warrant issued for Gormley.

On June 27, while housed at the Weber County Jail's Kiesel Facility, Gormley was granted work release so he could go to Mountain View Flooring during the day and return to the facility at night, according to charging documents.

On June 29, his third day of work release, Gormley did not return to the jail, according to charging documents. Corrections officials later learned that Gormley fled from Utah Highway Patrol troopers that day after they attempted to make a traffic stop on him, the charges stated.

Gormley fled from troopers on a stolen motorcycle, according to the UHP.

On Saturday, Clinton police got into a chase with Gormley after police say he stole a car from Wasatch Front Kia in Riverdale.

Investigators looking for Gormley found him Monday. He attempted to escape by jumping into a car driven by a 53-year-old woman. He punched, scratched and bit the woman in an attempt to get her out of the car, according to the UHP.

Troopers used Tasers on Gormley four times before taking him into custody. After he was handcuffed, shackled and taken out of the car, Gormley went into cardiac arrest, according to the UHP.

Gormley was taken to McKay-Dee Hospital Center where he was placed in a medically induced coma. Tests showed he was under the influence of methamphetamine and opiates at the time.

An updated condition for Gormley was not immediately available Tuesday.


Related Stories


Pat Reavy


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast