Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
Whole Grain Muesli Buttermilk Pancakes (Chef Tina Jean)
Makes: 16 total 4 inch pancakes
¾ cup white whole wheat flour
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup Bobs Red Mill Muesli whole grain cereal
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 ½ cups buttermilk
½ cup skim or 1% milk
1. In a food processor grind the muesli into a fine flour-like consistency. This may take a couple minutes. You will have pieces that are coarser which will not break down further. Measure out the amount necessary and reserve.
2. In a large mixing bowl blend together the white whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, muesli, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. In a medium size mixing bowl blend together the canola oil, eggs, buttermilk and milk.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until no flour streaks are visible.
4. Preheat a 12 inch nonstick pan over medium-low heat. Using a ¼ cup scoop or measuring cup, scoop batter into pan, leaving enough space for each drop to spread to a 4 inch circle.
5. Cook until small air pockets begin to form on the visible side of the pancake. Flip and cook on the second side just until golden. Remove and serve hot.
*You may cook these pancakes in large batches, cool on a wire rack, then freeze individually, spread on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, place in a freezer safe storage bag and when ready to eat, reheat in microwave or toaster oven.