SALT LAKE CITY — With summer driving season approaching, the Utah Department of Transportation announced Wednesday its top 10 road construction projects for the rest of the year.
UDOT said there will not be as many large road projects in 2013, but there will still be more than 150 construction projects statewide that "will require drivers to plan ahead."
The top 10 state projects are:
• I-80 drainage pipe replacement in Salt Lake County: Crews will install a new drainage pipe in Parleys Canyon to replace the existing system. Drivers should expect lane closures throughout the summer. Project completion is estimated for December.• I-15, South Payson interchange to Spanish Fork River: Crews will widen seven miles of pavement and bridges on I-15 from the south Payson interchange to the Spanish Fork River. Most of the work will take place in the freeway median, with construction expected to be completed by year's end.
• Southern Parkway, St. George: The Southern Parkway is a 33-mile project that will eventually become an eastern belt route for Washington County. Currently, eight miles are complete from I-15 to the new St. George Airport. Construction continues this spring and summer to extend the new highway another eight miles.
• State Route 193 in Davis County: Crews will extend state Route 193, the Bernard Fisher Highway, from 2000 West on 200 South in West Point to 700 South and State Street in Clearfield. Work includes earthwork, utility relocations, as well as drainage and sound wall construction. Temporary road closures or blockages may occur from time to time on local streets and trails.
• I-15, St. George Boulevard diverging diamond interchange reconfiguration:Reconstruction work will take place on the existing diamond interchange to install southern Utah’s first diverging diamond interchange. Work is expected to begin this summer and be completed by the end of the year.
• U.S. 89/91 repaving, Sardine Summit to state Route 23 in Cache County: The second phase of work continues from last season’s repaving of U.S.Highway 89/91. Maintenance work will take place from Sardine Summit to Wellsville to maintain a smooth road surface and prolong the life of the roadway. Daytime lane closures will take place throughout the summer.
• I-15, 1100 South (U.S. 91) diverging diamond interchange in Brigham City: Work to build the first diverging diamond interchange in northern Utah will begin this summer on the I-15 and 1100 South interchange in Brigham City. Traffic may be redirected around the project throughout its duration. The project is expected to be completed by next summer.
• U.S. 89 improvements, Orem to Pleasant Grove.Crews will make several improvements to State Street between Orem and Pleasant Grove this summer. The road will be widened to seven lanes, repaved with new asphalt, and upgraded with curb, gutter and new sidewalks in various locations. Drivers should expect minor traffic delays due to lane restrictions.
• Bangerter Highway, 13400 South continuous flow intersection installation, Salt Lake County. UDOT will begin construction of a new continuous flow intersection on Bangerter Highway at 13400 South. Lane restrictions will occur throughout the project but will take place during non-commute and nighttime hours. Construction is scheduled to be completed later this year.
• I-215 maintenance, state Route 201 to North Temple in Salt Lake City. A heavily traveled section of I-215 will undergo concrete repair this summer for approximately two months with occasional lane and ramp closures. Work will take place during overnight and non-commute hours to minimize delays, UDOT stated.