News / Utah / 

'Mountain Man' faces 3 new charges

By Pat Reavy and Jennifer Stagg, | Posted - Apr 4th, 2013 @ 11:19pm

Show 2 more videos

MANTI — Three new criminal charges were filed Thursday against Troy Knapp, the elusive "Mountain Man" accused of evading police for years.

Knapp was charged in Sanpete County's 6th District Court with burglary, a second-degree felony, in addition to class B misdemeanor charges of theft and criminal mischief.

The new charges against Knapp, who was arrested Tuesday near Ferron Reservoir after allegedly firing at a Department of Public Safety helicopter before finding himself surrounded by 40 officers, are for alleged crimes that occurred in October 2012.

Knapp now faces 21 charges in four Utah counties, and will likely face additional charges for his alleged actions surrounding Tuesday's arrest. He also faces potential federal charges for possession of stolen firearms.

  • In Garfield County, Knapp is charged with four counts of burglary and two counts of theft.
  • In Iron County, Knapp is facing four counts of burglary and three counts of theft — all charges for incidents between June 2009 and September of 2011.
  • In Kane County, he is charged with aggravated burglary, two counts of burglary and purchase, transfer or use of a firearm by a restricted person stemming from a December 2011 incident.

A recent Men's Journal article outlined Knapp's past in detail.

The article reports Knapp grew up in Michigan. When he was 17, he was arrested for defacing a city water tower; and the next day was caught forging a stolen check.

Before sentencing, Knapp was arrested again for burglary and car theft. He was sent to prison for four years.

In 1990 at age 22, Knapp was paroled. Men's Journal reports he followed a girlfriend to Salt Lake City and began working at the Pie Pizzeria.

When the relationship allegedly turned violent, Knapp returned to Michigan in 1994, where he was charged with assault with a deadly weapon for dropping bricks off a roof at teenagers below. When he failed to appear for his sentencing, a warrant was issued and Knapp disappeared.

After another crime spree in Seattle, southeastern Utah, and California, Knapp served another four years in prison. When he was released again, he dropped off the grid for good.

Since then, Knapp's only been spotted a handful of times. Law enforcement and U.S. Marshals in Utah launched a massive manhunt. On April 2nd, after reportedly firing shots at a DPS helicopter, Knapp was finally taken into custody.

Knapp, a survivalist, is accused of breaking into cabins across much of central and southern Utah for as least seven years. He is accused of living off the supplies left behind by cabin owners who were not home, and stealing food, clothing and weapons.

Related Stories

Pat Reavy
Jennifer Stagg

    KSL Weather Forecast