News / Utah / 

Investigators Find Cause of Fire That Burned Teen

Investigators Find Cause of Fire That Burned Teen



Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

(KSL News) Investigators now know what caused a flash fire in Roy that severely burned a 15-year-old boy.

Fire officials told the Deseret Morning News Jordan Tracy and several friends were smoking a cigarette in Tracy's backyard Thursday near three five-gallon cans of gas.

They say one of the cans was kicked over while the boys were "horsing around." The cigarette ignited the gas fumes, which caught Tracy's pants on fire.

Over 54 percent of Tracy's body was burned.

He is scheduled to receive skin grafts next week.

Related links

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Utah

SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast