Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
NORTHERN UTAH -- Traffic shifts, bridge moves and full road closures are all coming to a freeway near you this weekend.
Highway construction crews will have a busy weekend on their hands, which means motorists should expect delays, detours and some red tail lights. The Utah Department of Transportation has issued a long list of closures and restrictions this weekend.
You could call it the "orange cone derby," with road work happening in many areas along the Wasatch Front.
- At the Mouth of Parleys Canyon, the westbound Interstate 80 off-ramp to Interstate 215 will be closed to replace the right shoulder barrier. The closure begins Friday, Aug. 6, at 9 a.m. and goes through Monday, Aug. 9, at 5 a.m.
- On northbound Interstate 15 at 2100 South, crews will install the new Express Lanes electronic signs. From Saturday, Aug. 7, at 10:30 p.m. to Sunday, Aug. 8, at 5 a.m., traffic will be diverted to the 2100 South/1300 South/900 South exit and brought back onto I-15 at the 1300 South on-ramp.
"Know that our crews are out there working in these work zones, so we just ask people to slow down in the work zones; really be aware of merging trucks and just keep everybody safe," says UDOT spokeswoman Tania Mashburn.
- Southbound I-15 in North Salt Lake will be restricted to two lanes while crews stripe and get ready for a new traffic configuration. The restrictions begin Saturday, Aug. 7, at 9 p.m. and go through Monday, Aug. 9, at 5 a.m.
- In Layton, workers are building a bridge right next to I-15 at the new Layton Parkway Interchange. Beginning Saturday, Aug. 7, at 11 p.m., southbound I-15 will close at Hill Field Road Interchange so crews can move the bridge into place. Traffic will be detoured to Main Street until Sunday, Aug. 8, at 4 a.m. To avoid major construction, UDOT suggests drivers take Interstate 84 to US Highway 89 back to I-15.
- Meantime, on I-15 at 11400 South, two lanes in each direction will close for the placement of new signs. The two northbound lanes were closed overnight Thursday. The two southbound lanes will be closed Friday, Aug. 6, at 10 p.m. to Saturday, Aug. 7, at 5 a.m. UDOT says the northbound I-15 traffic configuration will switch Sunday, Aug. 8, to eliminate the curve near 11000 South so travel lanes will have more of a straight continuous path.
- In American Fork at I-15 and Main Street, UDOT says northbound 1-15 will be restricted to two lanes Saturday, Aug. 7, at 8 p.m. and down to one lane at 11 p.m. In addition, the northbound off-ramp will close at 8 p.m. and the northbound on-ramp will close at 10 p.m. All lanes and ramps will open Sunday, Aug. 8, at 6 a.m.
CLICK HERE for alternative routes and current travel times.
All in all, it looks to be not a bad weekend to stay home and mow the lawn.