Pepper Spray the Cause of Ruby's Inn Sicknesses

Pepper Spray the Cause of Ruby's Inn Sicknesses

Save Story

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

(KSL News) -- An employee at Ruby's Inn admits he released pepper spray in July that sent over fifty people to the hospital.

Garfield County Sheriff's office says an employee was cleaning the room when he found a canister labeled "bear repellent." The worker doesn't read or speak English, and he sprayed about three bursts of pepper spray.

When he smelled the noxious fumes, he opened a window. This sent fumes drifting to other parts of the lodge, and guests soon complained of nausea and headaches.

The employee was hesitant to admit responsibility for the incident because he thought the resort would fire him and his family members.

Charges haven't been filed against the man, and he's still employed at Ruby's Inn.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast