Find a list of your saved stories here

Suspect in 1984 Slaying to be Transferred to Utah

Suspect in 1984 Slaying to be Transferred to Utah

Save Story

Save stories to read later

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

BRIGHAM CITY, Utah (AP) -- California federal prison inmate Glenn Howard Griffin is expected to be transferred to Brigham City within days to face capital homicide charges in a 1984 slaying.

Griffin's transfer from California was approved late last month and prosecutors hope to arraign him as soon as Sept. 6 in the slaying of 22-year-old convenience store clerk Bradley Newell Perry.

"We had hoped to arraign him today," Box Elder County Attorney Amy Hugie said Monday. "That was our goal."

However, the paperwork proved complicated and it took more time than expected.

Griffin, 47, of Logan, Utah, was to have finished a 34-month sentence at the Lampoc Federal Correction Institute by January. The sentence was for possession of ammunition by a convicted felon. He pleaded guilty in January 2004 after being arrested on July 17, 2003, by members of the Cache-Rich Drug Task Force.

Griffin was charged June 30 after a blood sample taken from Griffin in 2004 was entered into a national DNA database and was found to match blood on a dollar bill in the 1984 slaying.

Perry was working the graveyard shift at a U.S. 89 convenience store on the Brigham City-Perry border when he was bludgeoned and fatally stabbed by one or two people about 4 a.m. on May 26, 1984. An undisclosed amount of money was taken from the cash register.

The bloodstained dollar bill was given by a perpetrator, pretending to work at the store, to two customers immediately after the slaying.

The blood on the bill and the man's clothes made the customers suspicious and they contacted law enforcement after leaving.

The customers said the man left the store in a truck with another man.

Perry was found a short time later in a back room of the store. He had been stabbed repeatedly with a knife and a screwdriver-type instrument. He'd also been beaten with a large, blunt object and bound with electrical cord.

The case remains under investigation.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast