Warehouse fire started by 2 homeless men

Save Story

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

Warehouse fire started by 2 homeless men

SOUTH SALT LAKE -- Two homeless men trying to stay warm burned down a vacant building in South Salt Lake.

Investigators say the fire started by the men inside the warehouse Monday night got out of control, spreading to both floors.

When firefighters arrived at the warehouse near 200 West and 3300 South, flames were leaping through the second story of the building. Crews brought the fire under control, but the location and freezing temperatures made it difficult.

Deputy Chief Kevin Bowman of the South Salt Lake Fire Department said, "A lot of cold, a lot of ice, a little bit of limited water supply back here just because of where it's at. (It's) kind of hard to access the fire building."

Both men suffered minor injuries. Firefighters say the building is a total loss.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast