Find a list of your saved stories here

Gas Can Spill Contributed to Millcreek Fire

Gas Can Spill Contributed to Millcreek Fire

Save Story

Save stories to read later

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

(Salt Lake City-AP) -- A fire ripped through an elderly couple's Millcreek home sending both of them to the hospital.

Investigators say the fire started yesterday after a gas can in a closet in the home's carport tipped over and spilled down into an interior basement stairwell landing. The gas was ignited by a nearby water heater pilot light.

Joanne Bair is listed in critical condition at the University of Utah Medical Center with severe burns. Her husband Preston was transported to the hospital and is expected to be released today.

The home suffered at least 150-thousand dollars worth of damage.

The couple's three cats also died in the fire.

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast