Weber State holds off Northern Colorado 28-20

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

GREELEY, Colo -- On a beautiful October day in Greeley, Colorado, the Weber State Wildcats survived a scare from the Northern Colorado Bears and escaped with a 28-20 victory Saturday afternoon. Cameron Higgins, a Walter Payton candidate, had another big day through the air, throwing for 292 yards and three touchdowns.

Due to a violation of team rules, the team suspended running back Trevyn Smith for what was supposed to be the first half of the game, but the Wildcat running back never saw action. Instead, all of the running back duties fell on Aurora, Colorado and Grandview High School native Bo Bolen, a redshirt freshman. In his homecoming game and first start of his career, Bolen rushed the ball 37 times for 207 yards and one touchdown.

The Wildcats got on the scoreboard first when, with a little over seven minutes left in the first quarter, Bolen scampered across the goal line on a 1-yard touchdown run. The extra point was added by Mike Snoy and the Wildcats had the early lead 7-0. Early on in the second quarter, Higgins connected with his big tight end Tyrell Francisco on a five yard touchdown pass. Snoy added the extra point to give the Wildcats a commanding 14-0 lead.

Northern Colorado then cut the ‘Cats lead in half when running back Andre Harris got across the goal line on a 2-yard run. Bears kickers Michael York added the extra point and the score settled at 14-7. Then right before halftime Higgins connected with wide receiver Joe Collins on a 6-yard pass and the ‘Cats went into the locker room with a 14-point lead at halftime 21-7.

Northern Colorado pretty much dominated the next quarter and a half until the ‘Cats scored late and sealed the victory. Bears quarterback Bryan Waggener completed a 42-yard touchdown pass to Patrick Walker. York added the extra point and the Bears were back in the game at 21-14. York added a 37-yard field goal later on to cut the Wildcats lead to four at 21-17.

It was once again the right foot of York with 6:28 left in the fourth quarter that cut the Wildcats lead to one with a 46-yard field goal to make the game interesting at 21-20. Then, with three minutes left in the game, Higgins connected with Joe Collins once again on an 8-yard touchdown pass. Snoy split the uprights again and the ‘Cats escaped Greeley with the 28-20 victory.

The Wildcats, now 5-1 in Big Sky Conference play, turn their attention to the big showdown against the undefeated Montana Grizzlies next Saturday in Missoula. The Wildcats and Grizzlies kick off at 1:05 p.m. inside Washington-Grizzly Stadium.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast