News / Utah / 
Funding Restored to Program After Child Resists Attack

Funding Restored to Program After Child Resists Attack

Posted - Nov. 23, 2004 at 1:05 p.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

PROVO, Utah (AP) -- The Provo School District has restored about two-thirds of the budget for a program designed to teach children to resist an attacker.

That comes after nine-year-old Candy McBride used moves she learned in the program to foil an alleged kidnap attempt last week.

Candy and her mother, Charlotte Carr, says the girl was walking home from school in southwest Provo last week when a man jumped out from behind some trees near her home.

Candy says she punched and kicked the man until she got free and ran home. Those were moves she learned in the radKIDS program taught by the district.

Student Services Director Gregory Hudnall says funding was restored since the district felt the incident was the -- quote -- "proof in the pudding that program is working."

A man Candy later identified in a lineup has been arrested but not charged for aggravated kidnapping.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast