SALT LAKE CITY -- The search for an 8-year-old boy who fell in a Salt Lake canal over the weekend has been significantly scaled back. The water sweep has been called off after days of searching turned up nothing.
Recovery teams performed a final scan of the Salt Lake surplus canal Wednesday morning. They focused on areas where sonar picked up images that could have been 8-year-old Trejon Brown, but crews couldn't find him.
Sheriff's officials say crews thoroughly scanned several miles of the canal, starting from the Trejon fell off of Saturday.
The water is very high right now and the water is too murky for divers to see anything. Recovery teams had some promising leads after a sonar typically used to search lakes was brought in to take pictures, but those leads turned up nothing.
Mark Bednarik, Public Information Officer of the Salt Lake City Fire Department, said, "Without any new evidence of locations to search, we're going to suspend water operations unless we identify something that prompts us to go back into the water."
Officials called off the water search Wednesday. They pulled barriers from the water that were being used to catch items from flowing downstream.
However, they say they won't stop looking for Trejon.
"We're going to continue to work up and down the banks. We're going to continue to use search and rescue dogs for the area as well as other technology that's needed, and continue to work up and down the banks of the river, probing and searching as we need," Bednarik said.
Trejon and his family had only lived in the area for a month before this happened. He is the third of seven children. His mother told KSL earlier this week she's not sure why Trejon was crossing the pipe and that he was the type of child to yell at his siblings for doing something like that.
Story compiled with contributions from Linda Williams and Lori Prichard .