News / Utah / 

KSL TV, File

Ogden police fatally shoot 1 overnight after reported vehicle theft, foot chase

By Graham Dudley, | Updated - Feb. 7, 2021 at 10:25 a.m. | Posted - Feb. 6, 2021 at 8:23 a.m.

OGDEN — One man is dead after Ogden police say he brandished a weapon during a search late Friday night.

The shooting occurred near the 2900 block of Grant Avenue, police said in a news release.

According to the release from Chief Eric Young, the chain of events began earlier Friday evening, about 7:11 p.m., when police received reports of an aggravated robbery, sexual assault and vehicle theft during which the perpetrator had reportedly displayed a handgun.

The robber stole the victim's vehicle and fled, Young wrote.

During a Sunday-morning press conference, Young said an Ogden officer spotted the stolen vehicle at 11:37 p.m. near 30th and Washington Boulevard. The assault suspect was in the vehicle with another woman. When officers approached the vehicle, the woman immediately surrendered to police and the man ran west from the car on foot.

Officers established a perimeter and began searching for the man. They found footprints in the snow in a Grant Avenue backyard.

They followed those footprints to what Young described as an "open garage" or "lean-to shed" with a pickup truck inside.

"As they were searching," Young said, "they found the suspect concealing himself in the bed of a pickup truck in that garage." He stood up in the bed, holding a gun, and Young said he "refused to comply" with commands to drop it.

Two Ogden officers fired. Medical attention was provided, but Young said the man's injuries were clearly "non-survivable." He died at the scene.

No officers were injured, Young said.

The Weber County Attorney's Office Officer Involved Critical Incident Team is now investigating the shooting, police wrote, and the Ogden Police Department will conduct a separate internal investigation. Both officers who fired were wearing body cameras, officials said, and have been placed on paid leave.

Young said the deceased man has still not been identified. He was likely from out of state and hadn't been in the area long, he sad.

Young described him as a Hispanic male in his 20s or 30s, based on his observation. He said there was no previous relationship between the man and the woman he allegedly assaulted, but that they'd met for the first time at a house that evening.

The second woman, who was in the car when police approached, had "asked for a ride" or been offered one. "She accepted, and ended up at the wrong car at the wrong time," he said.


Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast