Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
NAPLES CITY, Uintah County — A man died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound after police say he shot at an officer, fleeing the scene and prompting a shelter-in-place advisory in Naples City on Monday.
The incident started at 10:21 a.m. when police responded to a disturbance call. A man sitting on the front lawn of the Uintah County home, shot at an officer with a rifle, Naples City Police Chief Mark J. Watkins said in a news release.
The officer took cover and prepared to shoot at the man who ran to the back of the home, according to Watkins.
The man ran toward a ravine near the house. His mother told police the man believed “someone was out to kill him,” Watkins said.
Officers and other authorities searched the area and found the man dead in a creek about 1:21 p.m. The man died by a self-inflicted gunshot wound and no officers fired any shots throughout the incident, Watkins said.
A Utah Department of Public Safety helicopter also assisted police in the search. Police initially asked residents living on the east side of U.S. Highway 40 to shelter due to “an active police situation," but the advisory was lifted Monday afternoon.
The man’s name was not released pending notification to family members.
If you or someone you know is struggling with thoughts of suicide, call the suicide prevention hotline at 1-800-273-TALK.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Statewide/Salt Lake County Crisis Line: 801-587-3000
- Utah County Crisis Line: 801-691-5433
- Wasatch Mental Health Crisis Line: 801-373-7393
- Trevor Project Hotline for LGBTQ teens: 1-866-488-7386
- NAMI Utah: namiut.org
- County Crisis Lines: https://www.namiut.org/families-caregivers/suicide-prevention
- Utah Chapter-American Foundation for Suicide Prevention: afsputah.com
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org