Salt Lake man charged in gruesome beating

Salt Lake man charged in gruesome beating

(Salt Lake County Jail)

1 photo
Save Story

Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — A gruesome confrontation at a Salt Lake City apartment complex that left a man with severe injuries has resulted in serious charges for the alleged attacker.

Anthony Ray Chavez, 62, of Salt Lake City, was charged Friday in 3rd District Court with object rape, a first-degree felony; aggravated assault, a second-degree felony; aggravated assault, a third-degree felony; and drug possession, a second-degree felony.

On Wednesday, Salt Lake City police were called to 580 S. 500 West about 11:15 p.m. when a security guard found an unresponsive 57-year-old man in the hallway in front of an apartment, according to charging documents.

The man, who was "bleeding profusely," according to police, was found wrapped in black cords and had duct tape in his hair, the charges state. The security guard opened the apartment door and found a pool of blood and Chavez standing in the entryway, according to the charges.

The victim suffered a skull fracture, a broken nose, a broken wrist, had ligature marks around his neck, several cuts on his head and face, burn marks on his face, and tears to his rectum and large intestine caused by blunt force trauma, the charges state.

Inside Chavez's apartment, police found "a bloody hammer, a box cutter, a bloody broom, three pieces of a leather belt, HDMI cords and two rolls of duct tape," according to charging documents. Methamphetamine was also seized.

Chavez eventually told police that during a fight with the victim, he strangled the man, dragged him outside and beat him with a broomstick, the charges state. Charging documents do not say what started the fight.

Prosecutors have asked for a high bail amount of $750,000.


Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Pat Reavy is a longtime police and courts reporter. He joined the team in 2021, after many years of reporting at the Deseret News and KSL NewsRadio before that.


Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast