Find a list of your saved stories here

Cleveland Orchestra suspends concertmaster amid allegations


Save Story

Save stories to read later


Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

CLEVELAND (AP) — The Cleveland Orchestra has suspended its longtime concertmaster following the publication of two accounts detailing sexual misconduct allegations against him.

The Plain Dealer reports the orchestra said Friday that William Preucil, concertmaster since 1995, had been suspended until "further notice."

The Washington Post in a story Thursday about sexual misconduct in the classical music world reported a member of the New World Symphony in Miami, where Preucil taught, says he invited her to his hotel room for cigars and "aggressively" kissed her, opened buttons and pushed her onto a bed.

A second New World violinist says Preucil propositioned her in 2000.

The Cleveland Orchestra says it was unaware of the allegations and will conduct an independent investigation.

The Plain Dealer says Preucil was unavailable for comment.

___

Information from: The Plain Dealer, http://www.cleveland.com

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent Entertainment stories

The Associated Press

    STAY IN THE KNOW

    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast