News / Utah / 

Climber suffers serious injuries after falling 60 feet in Little Cottonwood Canyon

(Salt Lake County Sheriff's Search and Rescue)

8 photos

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

LITTLE COTTONWOOD CANYON — A male climber was flown to a hospital in serious condition after he fell while climbing at Coalpit Gulch with friends Monday afternoon, police said.

Emergency crews responded to a report of a fall on the trail about 1:23 p.m., said Unified Police Sgt. Melody Gray. She said the climber fell and hit his head. The climber was wearing a helmet when he fell but was still hurt in the fall.

The climber was on a route known as Stiffler's Mom, Salt Lake County Sheriff's Search and Rescue officials said on Facebook. He was the lead climber in a group, and fell 60-70 feet when his cam, a climbing device, pulled out, officials said.

The climber fell upside down and slammed into a wall near where his belay partner and wife were standing, officials said. He had injuries to his head and back. He was hanging upside-down for about 30 minutes before some other climbing groups helped turn him around, officials said.

A Department of Public Safety helicopter crew was able to locate him and fly him to a location where Life Flight was located, who then took the man to a hospital, Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Todd Royce said. The climber's name and age were not immediately released.

Contributing: Jacob Klopfenstein

Editor's note: This has been corrected to show that the Life Flight took the man to the hospital and not the DPS helicopter as originally written.



Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast