Charges filed against Idaho, Utah women accused of stealing police car

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

TREMONTON, Box Elder County — Charges have been filed against two women accused of stealing a police car after they had been arrested and handcuffed for leading an officer on a chase.

Caresa Ann Marie Girse, 34, of Pocatello, Idaho, was charged Friday in 1st District Court with aggravated escape, a first-degree felony; receiving a stolen vehicle, a second-degree felony; and failing to stop at the command of police, a third-degree felony.

Ashley Christine Quintana, 28, of Ogden, was charged with failing to stop at the command of an officer and escape from custody, both third-degree felonies; and failing to stop at the command of an officer and reckless driving, class A misdemeanors.

On Tuesday, a car occupied by Quintana, Girse and two others led a Tremonton police officer on a short chase. The car eventually stopped and the driver, Quintana, got out and ran, police said.

While the officer chased after Quintana, the other three drove off before backup could arrive, according to police.


A Box Elder County sheriff's deputy later spotted the car in front of Bear River High School and arrested Girse, who also goes by the last name Chacone, said Tremonton Sgt. Todd Hunsaker.

Both Girse and Quintana were handcuffed with their hands placed behind their backs. Because the police patrol car can only hold one prisoner in the back seat, Girse was seat belted in the front passenger seat, while Quintana was placed in the back, according to police.

But as the officer was searching the vehicle, Girse — still handcuffed — managed to crawl into the driver’s seat of the patrol car, put the vehicle in gear and drive away using her knee to steer, according to Tremonton police.

The patrol car was found abandoned about 4 a.m. in the area of 300 N. Main, Garland.

Girse, who managed to slip one of her hands out of the handcuffs, went to a random house saying she was cold and asking residents to hide her from police. The residents took her in from the cold and then called police while she was there, according to officers.

Contributing: Annie Knox

Related stories

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Pat Reavy is a longtime police and courts reporter. He joined the team in 2021, after many years of reporting at the Deseret News and KSL NewsRadio before that.


Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast