Find a list of your saved stories here

Britain lifts advisory against travel to Tunisia


Save Story

Save stories to read later


Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

LONDON (AP) — Britain has lifted an advisory against travel to Tunisia, paving the way for tourists to return to the country's Mediterranean beaches two years after a deadly attack.

The U.K. government had advised against all but essential travel to the North African country since a gunman stormed a luxury hotel in the resort of Sousse in June 2015, killing 38 people, 30 of them British.

The Foreign Office said Wednesday it no longer advises against travel to most of Tunisia, including major tourist resorts and the capital, Tunis. Foreign Office Minister Alistair Burt said the decision was partly due to security improvements made since then.

The U.K. tourism organization ABTA said the change meant "travel companies can put in place plans for holidays to Tunisia to restart, should they wish."

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent World stories

Related topics

World
The Associated Press

    STAY IN THE KNOW

    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast