Find a list of your saved stories here

Fire, evacuation at Miami Beach hotel that hosted Beatles


Save Story

Save stories to read later


Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) — An electrical fire at a Miami Beach hotel that hosted the Beatles in 1964 sent guests scrambling to find another place to stay.

Police and fire crews responded to the oceanfront Deauville Beach Resort early Tuesday. News outlets report that malfunctioning wiring in a temporary unit being used to supplement the building's air conditioner caught fire.

Miami Beach Fire Rescue Capt. Jorge Linares says the fire activated a sprinkler in the electrical room. He said no smoke or fire got into any rooms, but about 150 guests were told to leave the hotel. On Tuesday morning, they were being escorted into the building to get their belongings.

It was unclear how extensive the repairs would be or when the hotel would reopen.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent Entertainment stories

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast