Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
OGDEN — A lawyer for an Ogden woman accused of trying to conceal her slain toddler's injuries with makeup says the girl's parents want permission to attend her funeral.
Attorney Susanne Gustin said Thursday she expects to request a furlough from jail for 22-year-old Brenda Emile after authorities release the girl's body, the Standard-Examiner reports.
Judge Michael DiReda says he'd be unlikely to allow it, given the allegations against Emile and her husband, 25-year-old Miller Costello.
They are both charged with aggravated murder in the death of 3-year-old Angelina Costello.
The couple is accused of recording cellphone videos of themselves taunting the malnourished girl with food as her condition worsened over the past 18 months.
Angelina was found dead on July 6, covered with burns, bruises and cuts. Makeup had been applied to the girl's body in an attempt to conceal her wounds, police said.