This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
1½ tbsp. Madras Curry Powder
1½ tsp. Granulated Garlic Powder
¼ tsp. Chili Powder
¼ tsp. Ground Black Pepper
3 each Fresh Garlic Cloves,Minced
1 tbsp. Fresh Ginger,Minced
1 each Medium Onion,Chopped (reserving ¼ cup)
1 lb. Chicken Breast,Cut into Bite Size Pieces
1 each Red Bell Pepper,Chopped
2 each Ancho Chili Peppers,Deveined,Seeded,Chopped
1 can Canned Tomatoes 14.5 oz,Chopped
3 tbsp. Whole Wheat Flour
¼ cup Water
4 tbsp. Low Sodium Chicken Base
¼ tsp. Sea Salt
¼ cup Currants
8 each Apricot Halves,Finely Chopped
1 each Medium Red Apple,Finley Chopped
4 cups Cooked Brown Rice (according to pkg directions)
5 sprigs Fresh Parsley Preparations:
1. Mix dry spices together in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Lightly spray a large skillet or Dutch oven with cooking spray; bring heat to medium-high.
3. Add chicken to the pan, browning 6-8 minutes or until meat is cooked thoroughly. Remove chicken and any juices from the pan and set aside.
4. Spray pan again lightly with cooking spray; reduce heat to medium. Add dry spices along with garlic, ginger and ¼ cup onion; sauté stirring constantly until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
5. Add remaining onion and red pepper; sauté until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
6. Add tomatoes with juice, chili peppers, water, and chicken base.
7. Quickly stir/whisk 1 tbsp. of flour at a time into curry, making sure to blend completely before adding the next tbsp, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often for 20 minutes.
8. Add chicken, currants, apricots, and apples to the curry, continue to simmer an additional 5-10 minutes until all ingredients are heated through.