Smithsonian won't pull Cosby art exhibit after charges

Smithsonian won't pull Cosby art exhibit after charges

By Ben Nuckols, Associated Press | Posted - Dec. 30, 2015 at 10:11 a.m.


1 photo

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The criminal charges filed Wednesday against Bill Cosby won't lead to any changes to a Cosby-funded art exhibit at a Smithsonian museum.

Eddie Burke, a spokesman for the Smithsonian's National Museum of African Art, said Wednesday that the exhibit will close as scheduled on Jan. 24. He says no changes will be made to a posted disclaimer that says the museum does not condone Cosby's alleged behavior.

About a third of the works on display in the exhibit come from the private collection of Cosby and his wife, Camille. Cosby also funded the exhibit with a $716,000 gift.

Smithsonian officials debated whether to pull the exhibit after revelations about Cosby's behavior with women in court documents unsealed earlier this year. Cosby was charged Wednesday with aggravated indecent assault.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Photos

Ben Nuckols

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast